Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reflection of How to beast the Bully movie

My group’s film consists of weird acts of fighting and training. Therefore, it is categorized as a action film. My group was very cooperative and such, except for coming on time for the shooting. In fact, the group is very bad in keeping times and dates in order. But anyways, I was just an actor in the film and Clifford did everything else like writing, shooting, and editing. He was the group’s “MVP.”
So in the pre-production, our group was very unorganized until we all came together. I didn’t have half the group’s phone numbers and the dates for the shooting of the film changed about 3 times until we decided that we would shoot it on a Saturday. However, in the production, the group was actually becoming efficient and we even had time for a lunch break. We finished the film in around 4 hours and I think that could be the shortest shooting of a film anyone has ever done. Also, the post-production had the same progress, but I didn’t get to see the final product of the film so I will be in for a surprise on the day we watch the film.
The inspiration for our film was not really anything. It consisted of people speaking about random things and someone suddenly said kung-fu, so it went with the flow from there and it blossomed. We decided on kung-fu and the film ended up consisting of a bully, teacher, and student. It was about a puny kid always getting bullied by a bully. But on one fortunate day, a teacher comes by, who knows kung-fu, and ends up training the kid, but in the end, sadly, the kid gets beat up once again by the bully. Also, my favorite scene is the intro when Eric was sitting on the swings because it’s the only scene I watched and he’s wearing an Elmo t-shirt when it was below freezing outside.
This was my second film I ever did and I learned after the second time that I would need a planner and an organizer the next time a group does a film with me. I also learned that we need a skilled person that knows how to handle the technology required to make a film and Cliff was that guy. Our group was very lucky to have him.
In the film, we used cinematic techniques that include close-ups, long shots, low angles, jump cutting, and having a canted angle. A close up of faces was provided in the movie to show that he is speaking or he is being introduced. It made the fact that he was the dominant figure in the scene. Long shots were also used in the film when the kid met the bully again at the end. It didn’t really mean much but maybe we can say it meant that he still has a long way to go. Also, low angles were used in the film. It also is saying that this is the dominant figure. The fourth cinematic technique is jump cutting which is to cut from scene to scene with no sense of time. We did that from when I met Eric and to when we started training. In between those scenes, we had our lunch break. And lastly, we put in a canted angle of Eric laying on the floor. It usually means that something bad is about to happen but we used it because he lost and he was angry about it.
The movie was pretty much a success because I heard that it turned out good from a few friends (I don’t get how my friends watch it when I don’t get to). It was a fun experience but the date of the movie was horrible. I was outside freezing with sandals and a bathrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment