Wednesday, January 27, 2010

reflection "in blind sight"

At first I was put to the test of being the main character as the blind kid, but sadly we found out I wasn’t the greatest actor and didn’t have the “skills” to pull it off. My group put me in as the doctor and when I wasn’t acting which was most of the time, I was the camera man getting those great angles and close-ups. We were assigned different roles in this project depending on who was best at whatever the part was. Gabe wrote a great screen play, Spencer played an excellent blind boy and was a co-editor, Daniel directed and played the priest, and I acted as the doctor and was the camera man. Its hard to say only because I feel Spencer did a great job acting, but Gabe was the main person behind this film writing the screen play and editing our great film, so I would have to give the MVP award to Gabe Stine.
We sure had an advantage being that we were all friends from the start. So we all felt comfortable acting around each other, I have a feeling that if it was anyone else like people I didn’t know I would have been pretty embarrassed doing what I did. We did goof off sometimes while filming and had fun but when it was time to get serious we got the job done, and worked great together without many arguments, we would find a way to work it out if there was ever a problem.
Me and Spencer wanted to make a funny video from the start but Gabe spoke us into doing a serious movie with some sort of message, we figured most people were going to be making funny silly movies and we definitely are not like most people so we did the opposite, and that’s really how it started then Gabe wrote his screen play. I am not really sure where he got the idea for it, but it was a well written screen play and it seemed like a good idea to do it. This film is about a boy Alex that was born blind and grew up with a messed up life style. His mother died when he was very young age and his dad is a drunk who doesn’t really care for him to much. Then a new surgery was made that would allow Alex to see as well as anyone with perfect vision. But Alex wont like what he sees when the real world is finally revealed to his new eyes.
I felt that this was a very successful film and I am not saying that just because I was in it. The editing, music, acting, and story line I felt was excellent. I would have liked it if it could have been a little longer, but due to our time limit we couldn’t make it longer. I don’t feel that there are many weaknesses at least none that I can see. I think we did a pretty good job in making this film being that we didn’t have money to work with and used all the resources we had just like everyone else. My favorite scene was when Alex was waking up from surgery and there is narration, music, and voices in the back round. Gabe did a great job putting that scene together it makes you feel like your really in the movie waking up.
Everything in my opinion turned out great but I feel like if we had a little more time we could have added some small talk in to it because I felt it was some what jumpy from scene to scene. But I really can’t complain about anything it came out just as I thought it would and hoped it would. Next time I make a film I will definitely make sure to give it more time because it was a lot of work and very time consuming more then I thought it would be. But when it comes to the group and effort put in, it was good and everyone did there job well making sure to get it done.
I learned many things from doing this project, for example, I learned how time consuming it really is to film, get the take you want, and edit the whole thing, and I learned that team work and getting along really takes you far in getting the job done as a group. Many of the views we used and lighting effects we learned from class like, we used canted angle for when Alex is running down the hall way in the hospital which makes it sort of questioning and different not like the normal shot where its just straight on. We used low angle for when he is sitting against the white wall at he end of the movie to make a bad energy effect because he says there is no point to going to church anymore. When Alex is talking to the priest we used a low key lighting shot to make the mood seem right, he is in a confessional booth having a very depressing talk so we felt we should make it dark. We used close up when Alex is looking at the park, to show how upsetting it is and how upset he really is to see it broken down and just an empty dirty lot. Lastly we used a far shot for when he is running to the park after his surgery to get the effect of the whole scenery and showing him really in a rush and running a good distance to get to this very important park.

No comments:

Post a Comment